Tuesday 28 August 2018

9-year-old boy commits suicide after coming out as gay to his classmates

9-year-old boy commits suicide after coming out as gay to his classmates
A 9-year-old boy has committed suicide after he was bullied by classmates because of his sexuality.

Jamel Myles just started fourth grade at Joe Shoemaker Elementary School last Monday and was eager to open up to his peers that he is homosexual after coming out as gay to his mother over the summer.
His mom, Leia Pierce told KDVR-TV: "And he looked so scared when he told me. He was like, 'Mom I’m gay.' And I thought he was playing, so I looked back because I was driving, and he was all curled up, so scared. And I said, 'I still love you.' "
"He was gonna tell people he’s gay because he’s proud of himself," his mom added.
But Jamel didn't get the same support when he opened up to his mates. His mother said he experienced bullying, which led to his suicide.

9-year-old boy commits suicide after coming out as gay to his classmates

 “Four days is all it took at school. I could just imagine what they said to him,” Pierce said. “My son told my oldest daughter the kids at school told him to kill himself. I’m just sad he didn’t come to me.” Pierce found her son dead in their Denver-area home on Thursday and points to bullying as the cause. 

Asides identifying as homosexual, Jamel was also adjusting to his newfound femininity.
 'I know you buy me boy stuff because I’m a boy, but I’d rather dress like a girl,' " Ms Pierce said her son recently told her.

Jamel’s mom is now focused on making schools more tolerant following her son's death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SONG ALERT